Bridget married Bernhard Thurn in 1878.
Bernhard was a tinsmith. They lived at Elderslie, Camden.
Bernhard was stuck by lightning and died at Gostwyck near Uralla in 1879.
Bridget’s name appears on the NSW Teachers Rolls for 1869-1908. (I don’t yet know when or where she taught.)
Bridget died as the result of a sulky accident when the horse bolted.
Bernhard’s parents were Martin and Anna Thurn.
Martin Thurn was a German vinedresser brought to Australia by John Macarthur to work on his Camden Park estate. Macarthur’s vineyards played a vital part in establishing the Australian wine industry.
Martin was born in Germany on 14 October 1830. He arrived in Australia on the Reihersteig in 1852. After working for Macarthur, he rented a property between Narellan and Elderslie where he established a vinyard. In 1868, he bought his own property at Elderslie where he established Camden Bridge Farm vinyard, now Camden Estate and still a vinyard.
Martin and his wife Maria Anna (nee Fuchs) had eleven children. Bernard, the eldest, was born in 1853 in Campbelltown. Martin died on 6 October 1897. He is buried in the Camden Roman Catholic Cemetery.
from “History of Wine as Therapy” by Dr Salvatore Lucia (1963):
“Camden Bridge Farm
Martin Thurn was one of the five vine dressers brought to New South Wales by James and William McArthur from Nassaw, Germany, in 1852. After he had completed his indentured period at Camden Park, he established his own vineyard across the Nepean River from “Camden Park”.
This property is now owned by Mr Norman Hanckel and his daughter, Dr Sue Hanckel. In 1979 Dr Sue Hanckel graduated M.B.B.S. from the University of New South Wales. Thurn’s original colonial house is still used as a family residence.
Mr Norman Hanckel graduated from “Roseworthy” College in 1947 and has had vast experience in the Australian wine industry, working at “Yalumba” and is noted for establishing “Hungerford Hill” in the lower Hunter Valley.
In 1975 Norman re-established a vineyard on Thurn’s former land (on Macarthur Rd, Eldersrlie), selling the grape production to “Hungerford Hill”. Since 1980 he has produced his own wine with assistance of Sue. Today 38 acres produce 180 tonnes per annum – 75% Chardonnay and 25% equal parts Cabernet Sauvignon, Trebbiano and Traminer.
Now the grapes are sold to the Evans Wine Company, who make the wine under the Camden Park label.”
A wine press owned and used by Martin Thurn is in the Camden Historical Museum.
NSW Marriage Certificate 1865/1881 (Name recorded as “Thurr”)
NSW Death Certificate 2917/1912
NSW Marriage Certificate 2674/1878 (Name recorded as “Cunninghame”)
NSW Death Certificate 4078/1879